Skip to main content

"Words, Just Words" by John Preston

Words... Just words...

I lost a piece of my soul last night. For nearly the last two years of my life I have lived within a world of hollow words. I have taken the only thing I know how to do well and made noise across the country to raise awareness about PTSD and veteran suicide. I armed myself with a guitar and my voice and have screamed across the nation the same damn words. Twenty two a day... Twenty two veterans a day take their own life and last night my brother became one of those twenty two. A U.S. Marine Corps veteran and a police officer for nearly twenty years he stood as a statue to all of us. I was proud to be the brother of jiu jitsu rolling, name taking, mother fucker! While I traveled the country and showed my face on tv's everywhere saying the same words I was blind to realize that our statue was crumbling.

Words....

I don't want you to feel bad for me and I am in no way asking for sympathy today. I just want to remember my brother wipe away the anger that rest in me now. I have talked to ten people in the last few hours and we were all a phone call away... That is not what this is about. My nephew and nieces will now live the rest of their life wonder what they did wrong or why daddy couldn't stay. Still not what this is about. My mother has now in the last six months lost both her husband of 47 years and her oldest son. That is not what this is about. The fact that I spent my last 2 years of life hoping to prevent this tragic end for so many I didn't even know and was not even aware it was in my face is also not what this is about.

Just words...

My brother Michael was 9 years older than me. From a very young age we spoke our own language. I think my first three words were "fresh milk Mikey". Words like "shub jubb" were just part of our vocabulary and we didn't give a shit what anyone thought. He was fucking cool. Like really fucking cool. He was a trend setter and was always a step ahead of the new hip shit. He was a star athlete and made Nathan and I both proud to have him to look up to. For Nathan he would straight whoop a dudes ass and for me he would take me in the yard and play football or let me sit on his lap and steer his car. His talents matched his glowing personality and when he put up 18 points against Williamstown I remember going to school the next day to brag.

Words...

My childhood rolled seamlessly into my adolescence as my roll model taught me how to think cool, act cool, dress cool, and live cool. Mike had just gotten back from the Marine Corps and had became a cop in my home town. I had became his best friend, partner in crime, and a really drastic version of extreme makeover. He taught me how to talk to girls and once I got the hang of it he gave me a place to take them... (Just kidding mom, that never happened;) If I'm honest I'm pretty sure we high five'd our way through the late nineties but he was never hesitant to whip my ass when I wondered off course. he was on a pedestal to me and to ever reach that height would have been to have really made it in life.

Just words...

He could have called... No, that is not what this is about...

I was off to follow the steps of my Father, Michael and Nathan as I had signed on the dotted line and was bound to God, Country and Corps. It was pep talks from both of my brothers that assured I would walk that grinder in Paris Island and would forever wear the title Marine. I was a child but I knew if Mikey and Nate told me it was the right thing to do then I was going to do. It was a time in life before my nuts had dropped and someone had to make sure I didn't shit my life away. Dad was my my heart but they were my fist as I swung my tiny arms into manhood.

Words..

My leave breaks usually ended with pissing him off as I would call him at 3AM drunk and crashed into a creek bed with nobody to turn to. Nobody but my Mikey. I took as many tongue lashing as I did ass whippings from him and I promise all of those fucking hurt. But hey I did make you cry when I surprised you at your wedding in my dress blues when you thought I had already left for deployment. That was the real shit. My Mikey needed me that day and fuck if I was gonna miss it. I'm pretty sure I fucked that night up too but that is a whole different story.

Words... Heavy words..

My combat deployment fucked us all up. Michael and Nathan wished they were in my place and dad wished Michael and Nathan were in my place. (it's ok to laugh here but it is true) I was still a fuck up and was the only one in the family that showed emotions. It always labeled me as weak but as I strapped up my boots and charged head first to Iraq I knew something that none of the rest of the family knew... Being the last wolf in the pack does not make you the weakest. I had filled my ruck sack with my father's heart and his will to survive, with Michael's wisdom and ability to think faster than anyone I know when shit went bad and with Nathan's lack of give a damn that made it easy to pull the trigger when needed. On top of these x-men like powers that I brought with me I brought my own and my mothers compassion that let me love those that surrounded my enemies and care about why I was fighting.

Just....

The shit of it is I had discovered who I was as a man but fuck if it didn't throw off the feeding order of the pack. Where I once stood idle and cleaned up the scraps of the pack leader and his two massive beast I had become a beast myself and was fucking hungry. In times of despair we would circle around one another and posture to see who would take the first bite before the fight began. Fuck... Why did I do that? After we lost dad Mike was the leader of the family and had proven that. He had fucking raised me, coached my sports and taught me what a cliterous was. ( very interesting editorial "aim high lick the little man in the boat") none of this is what this is about.

Words..

We had some damn good times. To be honest we high five'd through the early 2000's. As time passed and we became dads and started family's and some of us took second try's at it there was no doubt that Michael and his influence shined brightly again as he shined as a father. No matter how much hell those children went through they had their daddy, my Mikey, to show them the way. To sing, dance, and down right act a fool as he, until yesterday, was raising 4 amazing children.
Why? Fuck? No, that is not what this is about.
Mom, we will get through this and Nathan, know that you are now my pack leader and we need to sharpen our teeth to protect this family. This stops here. But that is not what this is about.

Just words?

I could spend the rest of the day talking about all the great times we had growing together. He was my bilge pump when my ship was sinking and I only wish I could have been the same for him. I love you Mikey and I hope dad has found you so you can watch over the rest of us together. I promise you I will wear my heart on my sleeve for the entire world so that we may have a chance to solve a puzzle that I will never have the chance to solve for you. I will treat your son and daughters as my own and I will never let my statue crumble. You will be remembered for your strength and heart. I may occasionally scream at you in rage.....

Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...but I think I at least deserve that. 

I wish I could have told you how proud I was of you. How I always wanted to be you and could never be that cool. How I never regretted any of my fuck ups because those lessons learned from you will be carried with me forever. To fucking captain and coke, pullin' some sweet titty trim and some fucking 80's pop... "Shub jubb" mother fuckers and "fresh milk Mikey"

Words, fuckin words

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books Read By Anne Frank

2 outta 5 Kyians can't read, according to a 1999 Paul Patton Task Force commission report. “44% of Kentuckians struggle with minimal literacy skills, and 37% of the Kentuckians age 25 and older do not have a high school diploma.” http://www.lrc.ky.gov/lrcpubs/rr296.pdf But hey, Kentucky, don't lose heart. Just look at the good side. If 44% of Kentuckians CAN'T read, then that means that 56% of Kentuckians CAN read, so let's look at the positive side. Here's Wendy, a Kentuckian, from Letcher County, who I met the other day:  Many Kentuckians, especially the backwards, racist, and illiterate, love to fuck up their words as bad as they possibly can. “Taters” isn't only stupid... it's childish. Plus, potatoes aren't that great. Potatoes were responsible for killing off a huge Irish population... sure it's one of the world's main basic food staples, but rice, pork, beef, wheat, sugar, etc., are so much more important, and more d

100 Greatest Works Humanity Has Ever Made

A Great Books Canon “To ignore the leaps and bounds we've advanced in the fields of technology and science is to forever play patty-cake to the cavepeople of yesteryear.” Podcast Explanation for the first few Great Books of the Freedom Skool: http://youtu.be/7jD_v4ji1kU This is the Freedom Skool's 2015 list of the 100 Greatest Works Humanity Has Ever Made in the order of most important to least. Books are too limiting in their scope for what ideas can cloud the brain, and folks from all over the world, yesterday, today, men, women, atheist, spiritual, white, black, straight, gay, transvestite, have all helped in the collaboration in the making of this list. Out of the great pool of ideas, the best ideas should prevail. Thus, the 100 greatest works ever are nothing more than the 100 greatest ideas ever constructed. For all intensive and respectful purposes, consider this my own personal 100 “great books” list. For all kinds of culture, things which please the eyes, su

Haiti's Revolution 3

alex hamilton repn hte US while gw was away gave France $$$ for US repayment of Revolutionary War loans from the US treasury, which amounted to about $400,000 and 1,000 military weapons. N the period b/t Sept 1791 - June 1793, 22 months … US gave $726K to French white colonists. GW was a slave owner. He joined the US rev to protect his slaves from Lord Dunmore's Emancipation Proclamation; GW loved havn slaves, too much. That's why he helped France fight their rebelling slaves. Escargo & frog eatn French. French kiss... french fries... frenches mustard & ketchup french toast deja vu; cest la vie; jena ce qua; ew-lala vis a vis … viola! sacrabeau! ; a propos; au courant; au contraire; blasé blasé blasé Bon yovage! Bourgeouis!; cache cafe! Chueffer! Clique! Cliché! Critique croissant; cul de sac escusez moi; extraordinaire; facade; faux, faux pax; hot shots, part duex; gaffe, genre Grand Prix voyeur boutique cause celebre, laisse faire; madam malaise